- This event has passed.
Marine Diesel Engines for Women w/ Margaret Pommert, includes hands-on
December 3 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm$149.00
Margaret’s marine diesel engine classes for women are among our most popular. This introductory class will help both sail and power boaters understand their diesel engine, common causes of problems, and basic trouble-shooting techniques.
This class won’t make you a diesel mechanic. But it WILL give you a solid, basic understanding of, and hands-on experience with, a marine diesel engine and related systems that you need to have to cruise the Pacific Northwest. This class will review marine diesel and drive train systems that are both the most likely to cause problems, as well as being the easiest to fix (or prevent failing). You’ll discover there’s a lot you can do for you diesel and drive train that doesn’t require lots of strength or using expensive tools.
Participants will receive example checklists and tool lists to tailor for their own vessels.
Sample of topics covered:
• Safety around engine systems
• How to avoid causing problems by the way you drive and manage your boat
• How to perform daily engine checks, using a sample checklist
• Tools and supplies for daily engine checks and basic repairs
• Basic electrical troubleshooting using a multi-meter
• Replacing raw water impellers
• Checking and changing fuel filters
• When your engine fails: basic diagnostics
Bio: Capt. Margaret Pommert is a US Coast Guard licensed 100-ton captain and a nationally certified Master Instructor for both sailing and powerboating. She attended the SVC Marine Maintenance Technology program and is an ABYC certified Marine Diesel Advisor. A leader in the Pacific NW women’s boating community, Margaret was honored with 2019 National Women’s Sailing Association Leadership in Women’s Sailing award.