Mahina Offshore Cruising Workshop featuring John & Amanda Neal and others
March 23 @ 8:30 am - March 24 @ 5:00 pm$329 – $559
9:00 Boat Selection: Choosing the right boat
10:00 Getting Started: transitioning to the cruising life
10:30 Diesel Engines: Overview of how they work
11:00 Workshops: A total of four hands-on workshops – 30 minutes at two workshops now and at 2:45:
- Fuel Systems: Changing filter, priming fuel system.
- Electrical: Install leads on a test breaker using of wire stripper, ratcheting crimper and heat-shrink connectors. Use the test breaker for emergency engine starting.
- Sail Repair Machine: Repair seams and batten pockets on an actual sail using a Sailrite machine
- Handwork: Use sailor’s palm and needle to repair rips and seams and sew on sail slides
12:00 Lunch: Several options within two blocks. Instructors available to answer questions
1:00 Priority Equipment: Outfitting with the essential gear you really need
2:00 Sails and Rigging Overview: Keeping the mast up and the sails set
2:45 Workshops: Complete remaining workshops from 11:00
3:45 Fuel Systems: Maintaining this critical system
4:30 Seamanship and Storm Survival Tactics
5:20 Best of Northwest Cruising: San Juans to Alaska
6:30 No-host Pizza Party at Village Pizza (five-minute walk away). You’re welcome to bring partners, children, musical instruments and your singing voice! Live band, games and prizes.
8:00 Optional Offshore Equipment: Cool gear that makes cruising easier!
9:00 Communications: Coastal and offshore options
9:15 Galley Essentials: We’re not talking about camping out here!
9:45 Cruising Medicine: Common problems, prevention, treatment and necessary supplies
10:20 Workshops: 30 minutes at each of two stations
- Cooling System: Replacing raw water pump impeller, thermostat and sacrificial zincs
- Electrical: Use of clamp-on multimeter for electrical fault finding
- Canvas Making: Sewing protective covers
- Splicing: Create a Dyneema eye splice and soft shackle
11:20 Electrical Systems: Understanding and troubleshooting
12:45 Anchoring: Equipment and six techniques for worldwide cruising
1:00 Engine Cooling Systems
1:30 Marine Weather and Passage Planning
1:50 Workshops: Complete remaining two workshops from 10:20
2:50 Psychological Aspects: Keeping the balance
3:00 Cost of Cruising: Results of our recent survey
3:05 Managing Your Escape: Finances, health and boat insurance, customs, security, guns, clearing into a foreign port, leaving your boat overseas
3:40 Coolest Cruising Destinations in the World
4:00 The End. Collect course completion certificates