Offshore Cruising Seminar featuring John & Amanda Neal and others
March 23, 2019 @ 8:30 am - 5:00 pm$329 – $559
This two-day seminar combines the Mahina Offshore Cruising Seminar (166 presented since 1976 to 11,000 sailors) with Cruisers College top hands-on classes including marine diesel engines, marine electrical systems, plus sail repair, canvas making and technical line splicing with John and Amanda Neal along with Mike Beemer and Pete McGonagle. Included in the seminar cost is one copy of the Offshore Cruising Companion, the 260-page textbook which retails for $60.Register Via EventBrite
9:00 Boat Selection: Choosing the right boat
10:00 Getting Started: transitioning to the cruising life
10:30 Diesel Engines: Overview of how they work
11:00 Workshops: A total of four hands-on workshops – 30 minutes at two workshops now and at 2:45:
- Fuel Systems: Changing filter, priming fuel system.
- Electrical: Install leads on a test breaker using of wire stripper, ratcheting crimper and heat-shrink connectors. Use the test breaker for emergency engine starting.
- Sail Repair Machine: Repair seams and batten pockets on an actual sail using a Sailrite machine
- Handwork: Use sailor’s palm and needle to repair rips and seams and sew on sail slides
12:00 Lunch: Several options within two blocks. Instructors available to answer questions
1:00 Priority Equipment: Outfitting with the essential gear you really need
2:00 Sails and Rigging Overview: Keeping the mast up and the sails set
2:45 Workshops: Complete remaining workshops from 11:00
3:45 Fuel Systems: Maintaining this critical system
4:30 Seamanship and Storm Survival Tactics
5:20 Best of Northwest Cruising: San Juans to Alaska
6:30 No-host Pizza Party at Village Pizza (five-minute walk away). You’re welcome to bring partners, children, musical instruments and your singing voice! Live band, games and prizes.
8:00 Optional Offshore Equipment: Cool gear that makes cruising easier!
9:00 Communications: Coastal and offshore options
9:15 Galley Essentials: We’re not talking about camping out here!
9:45 Cruising Medicine: Common problems, prevention, treatment and necessary supplies
10:20 Workshops: 30 minutes at each of two stations
- Cooling System: Replacing raw water pump impeller, thermostat and sacrificial zincs
- Electrical: Use of clamp-on multimeter for electrical fault finding
- Canvas Making: Sewing protective covers
- Splicing: Create a Dyneema eye splice and soft shackle
11:20 Electrical Systems: Understanding and troubleshooting
12:45 Anchoring: Equipment and six techniques for worldwide cruising
1:00 Engine Cooling Systems
1:30 Marine Weather and Passage Planning
1:50 Workshops: Complete remaining two workshops from 10:20
2:50 Psychological Aspects: Keeping the balance
3:00 Cost of Cruising: Results of our recent survey
3:05 Managing Your Escape: Finances, health and boat insurance, customs, security, guns, clearing into a foreign port, leaving your boat overseas
3:40 Coolest Cruising Destinations in the World
4:00 The End. Collect course completion certificates
Register Via EventBrite